Active Shooter Resources
From a preparedness mindset, the UTA Police Department strives to educate our community in a wide range of issues that have the potential to affect our campus, including Active Shooter and Workplace Violence incidents. The resources below provide information on response considerations should someone encounter this type of situation on or off campus.
Shelter-in-Place: If you are in a building, stay in the building. If you are not in a building, get to one quickly.
For environmental incidents (chemical, biological, or radiological) event:
Take action for the incident - select a small, interior room, with no or few windows, and take refuge there. Close all doors, windows, and other inlets from the outside. Shut down the air intake or HVAC system if possible. Monitor emergency communications.
For weather incidents:
Go to the lowest level of the building if possible. Stay away from windows and doors. Go to interior hallways and rooms. Use your arms to protect you head and neck in a “drop and tuck" position. Monitor emergency communications.
Lockdown: The directive “Lockdown” is used to protect occupants in proximity of an immediate threat by limiting access to buildings and rooms. If no specific locations are given, all buildings should initiate lockdown procedures.
If you are outside a building in lockdown:
- DO NOT ENTER THE BUILDING. Move as far away as possible from the building under lockdown.
- Await further instructions from law enforcement.
- Check the university’s website and university social media sites for updates and further information as it becomes available.
- DO NOT CALL THE LOCATION THAT IS IN LOCKDOWN. Phone calls to anyone inside the building that is in lockdown may endanger them.
- DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SAFE AREA until law enforcement has opened the door.
If the threat is outside your building:
- If the exterior doors are not electronic and it is safe to reach them, lock them.
- Close and lock interior doors if possible. Barricade the doors.
If the threat is inside your building:
- RUN: Get OUT OF THE FACILITY if possible. Use mobile devices to call emergency personnel (911 or 817-272-3003) and provide relevant information. High mobile phone volume may interfere with emergency communications and should be limited to contact only emergency personnel.
- HIDE: Seek shelter in the nearest secured place, e.g., classroom or office. Turn off lights and any devices that may indicate that the room is occupied. If you are on the first floor, close any window blinds or curtains. Stay away from doors and keep out of line of sight. Sit or lie on the floor or crouch behind or under desks. Be as invisible as possible. BE QUIET. DO NOT respond to anyone at the door while in lockdown mode. When it is safe, law enforcement will announce themselves and release anyone in the room. If the fire alarm is activated during a lockdown, wait for direction from the building public announcement system or from the police before evacuating. If there is smoke or fire present, you may need to evacuate.
- FIGHT: Your last resort. Use anything to distract or disable the suspect.