UTA will issue Timely Warnings to members of the UTA community, campus visitors, and guests regarding Clery Act crimes that occur within UTA’s Clery Act geography (On Campus Property, Public Property, Non-Campus Property). A Timely Warning will be issued when, in the judgment of the university, the incident represents a serious or continuing threat to the UTA community. Timely Warnings will be distributed for such incidents whether the incident is reported directly to UTA PD or indirectly to UTA PD through a local police agency or Campus Security Authority (CSA).
A Crime Alert will typically include the following, unless issuing any of this information would risk compromising law enforcement efforts:
- Date and time or timeframe of the incident
- A brief description of the incident
- Information that will promote safety and potentially aid in the prevention of similar crimes (crime prevention or safety tips)
- Suspect description(s) when deemed appropriate and if there is sufficient detail
- UTA PD contact information
- Other information as deemed appropriate by the Chief of Police or designee
The decision to issue a Timely Warning is made on a case-by-case basis considering the facts surrounding the crime. Timely warnings will be issued once pertinent information is available, with the goal of aiding in the prevention of similar crimes.