UTA MavWatch Patrol Officers (MPOs) assist in providing for the safety and security of the campus community and visitors. This is accomplished by working in cooperation with the Police Department to deter and report criminal activity on or about the campus and may conduct Mavs Courtesy Escorts, as necessary
Our Goals Are:
- To observe and report suspicious activity to the UTA Police Department.
- Provide Mavs Courtesy Escorts for students, faculty, and staff.
- Patrol campus buildings.
- Assist students, faculty, staff, and guests with questions or problems.
- Report non-functioning lights or other safety concerns.
- Assist with other non-law enforcement duties as assigned such as traffic and crowd control and crime prevention programs on campus.
- Allow police officers and public safety officers to focus on other tasks that enhance safety.
The MavWatch Patrol Officer positions are part-time paid positions. MPOs work seven (7) days a week, primarily evenings throughout the academic year (September to May). Additional shifts during the week may be scheduled, from time to time, to assist the UTA Police Department with other operational functions (student’s academic schedule permitting).
MavWatch Patrol Officers are UTA students employed by the Police Department to augment the Patrol Division. While they do not perform the same duties as police officers, they do serve as extra eyes, ears, and smiles of our department.
Duties of the Position:
- The ability to demonstrate good judgment with assigned tasks.
- The ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Sensitivity towards the cultural diversity of the campus community.
- The ability and willingness to work their assigned shift, and to be responsible for finding a replacement in the event that they cannot fulfill a shift assignment.
- 18 years of age
- Full time student at UTA
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Subject to a criminal background check. Anyone who has been convicted of a felony or some misdemeanor offenses, are ineligible for MavWatch. Those with multiple questionable police contacts may also be excluded.
- Failing to note a conviction in the application will result in disqualification.
- Must complete a mandatory training session.
- Must adhere to all local, state, and federal laws, as well as University policies.
- Students should not have negative reports or prior records on file with campus police or the Office of Student Conduct.
- Must submit letters of recommendation from two UTA faculty or staff members.
- Students enrolled in the Criminology and Criminal Justice program at UTA will be given first preference.
Benefits for Students:
- On-campus job
- A work environment that is sensitive to your academic priorities
- A head start on your career in law enforcement or criminal justice
- Sense of pride serving your community as members of UTA Police Department
- Excellent résumé builder
- Develop contacts for future employment references
- Help maintain a safe campus by working in conjunction with uniformed campus police
Questions? Download our MavWatch Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) by clicking here.
To Apply: All applicants should locate The University of Texas at Arlington SNAP Jobs website and fill out a non-work study application for the position. This application will be sent to The University of Texas at Arlington Police Department and reviewed promptly.